Hiking path throughout the Tiergues and Soulsou Causses
Throughout stone tracks, low stone walls, a buissière and a pine plantation, this hike unveils some treasures of the local heritage: the Caylus rock, a former Seigneurial castle, the Tiergues dolmen, an outstanding megalith and the Soulsou farm. To get more info, a stop at the Maison de la Mémoire in Saint-Affrique is imperative!
Counts of Caylus’ Castle
This rock was used as the bedrock for the building of the Counts of Caylus’ Castle of which nothing remains today
The castle was destroyed in retaliation of Count of Caylus’ rebellion against his overlord Raymond VII, count of Toulouse, marquis of Provence and of Gothie.
- From the Maréchal Foch square in Saint-Affrique, take the road towards Rodez (route de Tiergues). 100 m after the Painlevé square, pass under the porch to your left. Carry on the path and reach the junction with the road which you take to the right up to a sharp bend. Walk straight on a track until an intersection with a larger path. Take this rising path up to the road.
- Take right the stone track, then follow the path that ascends progressively and overhangs the road to Tiergues.
- When you reach the junction, take the track of the dale which runs parallel to the D50. Follow the ravine and the brook towards Tiergues.
- At the signposted intersection, take to the left a rising wooded path which leads to the plateau where the Tiergues dolmen is located.
- After your visit to the dolmen, walk to the right along the D250 and reach the hamlet of Tiergues. To get through the village, walk around the graveyard and walk past the church (notice the sundial on the façade of a house).
- As you get to the intersection with the cross, fork to the left and follow the trail that slopes gently down towards the D993. Take this road for 70 m and leave it to join a footpath on the right, then reach the tarred road which leads to Canissac and go further up to the left.
- Walk past the buildings up to the junction and head towards Soulsou. Walk around the farm to the South-East and take a wide trail which runs parallel to the ravine. Carry on in the middle of pine plantations until you reach an intersection.
- Leave the main trail and take right a path that goes across the undergrowth and follow it to the junction with a tarmac road that you take to the left. Leave consecutively two roads going to the left, then 100 m after a bend and a place called "Julhac", take right a track up to a junction with a tarmac road that reaches the town centre.
Avenue de Lauras, 12250 Roquefort/Soulzon
Situated in the Grands Causses Regional Natural Park, the cheese village of Roquefort stretches on the hillside over the famous scree of the Combalou Rock, in southern Larzac. The village is at an elevation of 630 m and has 700 inhabitants.
The Tourist Office is open all year round:
- In July and August, Monday to Saturday: 9.30 to 18.30, Sunday: 10.00 to 17.00.
- April, May, June, September, October; Monday to Saturday: 9.30 to 12.15 & 13.00 to 17.30, closed on Sunday.
- January, February, November, December; Monday to Friday: 9.30 to 12.15 & 13.00 to 17.00, closed on Saturday and Sunday.
Travel by bus or train: http://www.mobimipy.fr/
Carpooling : BlaBlaCar, Rézo Pouce, Covoiturage-libre, Idvroom, LaRoueVerte, Roulez malin
Access and parking
Saint-Affrique is situated 31 km southwest of Millau via the D 992 and D 999
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here:
Where to sleep ?
Traditional catering or cafeteria-style for groups. Bar with terrace. Outdoor swimming pool, fitness centre. 3 meeting rooms with accommodating 15 to 150 people.
COVID 19 MEASURES
The safety of our clients and our staff is priority number one. In response to the coronavirus disease, we have taken additional health and safety measures to ensure our guests security.
We have strengthened our cleaning team and increased the frequency of disinfection of bedrooms, common areas, hotel private areas and especially areas and facilities used by everyone (entrance hall, lifts (by now unauthorised use), door handles, toilets, Reception Hall, room access cards and others).
• The staff is currently trained to prevent the spread of the coronavirus by means of new cleaning and disinfection techniques appropriate for today's conditions.
• We have provided our employees with personal protective equipment.
• We use specifically recommended cleaning products for the disinfection against COVID 19.
• The storey's staff will not carry out the daily cleaning in occupied rooms to prevent anyone to entering your room.
• Change of bathroom linen will be available at the Reception if needed.
• Alcohol-based disinfectant hand gel is available to our clients in the Reception Hall and in each floor.
• Your access badge will be disinfected and placed in an envelope. Upon your leaving, please put it in the box provided for this purpose, in the Reception Hall.
• A reminder of the appropriate physical distancing measures is displayed in the Reception Hall and on each floor.
• We have implemented directional floor marking in the Reception Hall and a one-way system has been put in place on each floor.
• We ensure that clients maintain a safe distance from each other.
We will continue to make sure that cleanliness and hygiene are our top priorities throughout all procedures and thank you for respecting the physical distancing measures (1.5 m).
We thank you, for the trust you put in us and wish you a pleasant stay with us!
Where to sleep ?
Small 4 storey house located at the end of a blind alley and set in a quiet environment with fine views onto the surrounding hills.
Street level: a bicycle shed
- 1st floor: entrance, kitchen and eating area
- 2nd floor: lounge, shower room and toilets
- 3rd floor: hall and bedroom with a 140 double bed
- 4th floor: bedroom on a mezzanine with a 160 double bed and a study area
The house has been recently refurbished in a contemporary style:
Due to its architecture this accommodation is not appropriate for mobility-impaired persons and/or young children.
The gite is non-smoking and pets are not allowed, bathroom linen can be hired.
Where to eat ?
We offer homemade cooking based mainly on fresh, local produce and a different menu every week. Booking advisable.
- Treat yourself to our delicious specialties either cooked on a pancake or on a slice of bread.
- Pancakes, homemade ice creams and coffee served with a selection of delicious delights
As for drinks we provide a range of Aveyron traditional lemonades, organic cider, wine by the glass and Aubrac beer.
Monthly cheese tasting evenings
Restaurant mentioned in le Petit Futé guide in 2017 and 2018.
Where to sleep ?
The 1837” has reopened its doors from May 15th 2020…with new sanitary practises to ensure your safety, as well as that of our employees !
The success of our unique hotel is the result of an Aveyronnaise family in love with their region, and a beautiful building that is nearly two hundred years old. Come and spend green holidays and enjoy overnight, or week-long stays in spacious and comfortable suites (fully equipped apartments with, among other features “fitted kitchen, dining area, living room with an office space, free wifi internet access” which can accommodate from 1 to 6 persons), private terraces opening onto a large green terrain, with free and private access to all of the 1837 facilities (with time slot-booking) and providing a unique atmosphere. Situated a few steps away from the small town centre of Saint-Affrique and close to numerous hiking and cycling circuits, the 1837 combines wonderful open spaces, refinement and services in the heart of southern Aveyron.
On the subject of services, please note that from now on, the 1837 offers you packed breakfasts using only local produce, which we leave for you outside the door of your apartment. And if you do not feel like preparing a meal, going to the drive-through or shopping at the local grocery store, we can also deliver midday and evening meal trays to you!
Revitalise yourself and enjoy the simple things in life: spend the siesta hours in the shade of the park, picnic with your family on the river's edge, take a walk and live simply, while enjoying the 1837 facilities (heated indoor overflow swimming pool, SPA facility with sauna, hammam and 2 jacuzzis, cardio training room and a billiards room.
Book now with complete peace of mind and pay later by calling us at 05 65 97 63 30 or sending us an e-mail to email@example.com
We invite you to share all our wonderful facilities so that you have a relaxing and enjoyable stay !
« Trekking experience »
This track, which is over 180 m long, comprises a series of challenging humps and turns.
The name of this track featuring raised turns and humps refers to the “bending-pushing” movements carried out on the bike through the combined action of legs and arms. This pumping action performed on hollows and humps allows the cyclist to gain speed without pedaling.
This facility is available with free access and is adapted to all levels of proficiency, from young children with their balance bikes to the most experienced riders.
This track is part of a plan aimed at the development of urban sporting activities in relation to the green lane.
A 4 km ride along the green lane towards Vabres l‘Abbaye will allow biking enthusiasts to test their skills and challenge their balance on another site: the Vabres l'Abbaye skatepark situated in the park of the bishop's palace.
Safety rule: To avoid collisions between riders, compliance with the direction of the traffic is compulsory, as is the wearing of a helmet for all users. Children under 10 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Pumptrack is not under supervision and regulations must be read prior to use.
Wath to do
To celebrate our 4 star award, the 1837 SPA is now accessible to non-resident persons who can enjoy our high-level facilities within easy reach of the Southern Aveyron area. Several options are available among which are:
The relaxing moment: 30€ per person for 2 hour, or 135 € for a 10 x 1 hour non-transferable package (from Monday to Saturday).
Day SPA session: 45€ per person for an afternoon from 14.00 to 19.00 (from Monday to Friday).
Each option comprises access to the heated indoor overflow swimming pool, to the SPA facility with sauna, hammam and 2 jacuzzis and to the cardio training room.
The 1837 SPA provides you with a bathrobe and a bath towel and is pleased to serve you a free cup of tea!
If you wish to book a time slot, please feel free to contact us at 05 65 97 63 30 (excluding the mid July – mid August period).
The 1837 SPA offers also a wide range of à la carte beauty treatments: extra face and body care that can be performed in one of the individual or double cabins by appointment only. So, if you want to get the most out of the 1837 SPA facility or give a gift to your friends, don't delay!
What to see
Enjoy a digital walking tour in Saint-Affrique
Surrounded by seven hills, Saint-Affrique is located along the banks of the Sorgues, in the heart of the frontal causses. From the Middle-Ages to the industrial era, History has left its mark on the town through built heritage and more subtle evidences. During your stroll you'll be able to unravel the Historical past of the town. Saint-Affrique which is set in a rural environment is rich in traditions of inventiveness and resistance and has been able to preserve its vitality! Saint-Affrique with its kind nickname “la Villote” (small town) is receiving you with great affection. Welcome to you!
Free application « Balades des Grands Causses » available on iOS or Android
Duration of tour: 1h30 – 2h
Wath to do
INTERMUNICIPAL INDOOR SWIMMING POOL
A wooden terrace and a lawned area with relaxing chairs welcome you to enjoy sunbathing.
Activities: water aerobics, aqua cycling, aqua fitness, swimming baby, aquatic playground for toddlers, water school for children, and aquaphobia sessions.
Lesson timetables are available by clicking on the link below:
What to see
Maison de la Mémoire (House of Memory) in the Saint-Affrique area
-A floor dedicated to temporary exhibitions, continually updated throughout the year, where you will discover the culture and heritage of Southern Aveyron.
-A museum of Aveyronnaise society which allows visitors to stroll through time and discover the old local trades and daily life: the displays are set out in five visiting rooms. The Maison de la Mémoire also holds the municipal archives department, a working and regional studies library, and an activity area for children and adults (more info on www.saintaffrique.com).
What to see
The Museum displays a new exhibition: « Bande de Guignols »:
You will learn about Guignol who was born out of poverty and thirsting for justice. You will meet his ancestors and his cousins, Polichinelle, Punch, together with other « Guignols », all of which the major 19th century upheavals have given rise to throughout the European continent.
Compulsory wearing of a mask