The Gréponac cross
2 points of interest
The Tournemire cirqueSituated in the southwest of the Larzac Causse, the Tournemire Cirque is a remarkable geological area marking the bondary beetwen the fore-causses and the great causses. It presents limestone ledges and rocky escarpments with caves and cavities where raptors such as the eagle owl and the golden eagle nest.
- History and heritage
Tower of Viala du Pas de Jaux
The Lord of Tournemire gave to the Templars knights the lands of Viala du Pas de Jaux in 1150. In the 12th and 13th centuries, the Viala consisted of a few farms.
After 1312, when the Hospitallers took possession of the Templars’ property, they decided to create in this place a village and for that they built farm buildings, managed by the brothers of the order. They constructed for them a dwelling and a church dedicated to St-Jean-Baptiste, the patron of the Hospitallers.
Until 1430, the inhabitants of Viala du Pas de Jaux and the surroundings took refuge in Ste-Eulalie de Cernon during the periods of insecurity which occurred on the Larzac. Because of the high distance between the two village, the inhabitants asked the authorization to the Grand Prior of Saint Gilles, to build a fortified tower to be able to take refuge inside with their possessions. This is the first fortification built on the plateau.
Today the 30 meters high tower has been restored. The vaulted ground floor, the five floors, its terrace and the dwelling dating from the 14th century are now accessible.
- From the tower of Viala-du Pas-de-Jaux, head north and follow the GR71C for 200m.
- At the wayside cross, turn off towards left, follow a track in the middle of the boxwoods which, after 1km, joins to “La Grande Passade”. Continue northwest towards the plateau. Walk along a fence to reach a junction on the edge of the cliffs.
- Turn left and continue walking on the top of cliffs until the cross of Gréponac (beautiful views on the Tournemire Cirque).
- From the cross, head east to get to the road D23. Take it for 800m.
- Turn right in operating path towards the cross of “Plo de la Lavogne”. After the cobbled-watering place, turn off left.
- Before D23, turn right and follow a dirt track that gets to a small road. Take it on the left in direction of the village of Viala to reach the starting point.
- Departure : Tower of Viala du Pas de Jaux
- Arrival : Tower of Viala du Pas de Jaux
- Towns crossed : Viala-du-Pas-de-Jaux and Tournemire
Tourist Office Larzac et Vallées
Place du Claux, 12230 NANT
Located on the ground floor of the Town Hall (mansion of the 18th century), The Tourist Office welcomes you all year and offers tourist information on the Larzac and its valleys, the department of Aveyron, and also on neighboring counties. Free Wifi access.
Opening hours :
From Novembre to February: Tuesday morning 9:00-12:30
March and October : Tuesday to Friday 9:00-12:30
April : Tuesday to Friday 10:00-12:30 and 14:00-17:30
May, June : Tuesday to Saturday 10:00-12:30 and 14:00-17:30
July and August : every day 10:00-12:30 and 14:30-18:00
September : Tuesday to Saturday 10:00-12:30 and 14:00-17:30
Access and parking
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: