The postman path
A good stamina is required to complete this long hiking loop that runs down into the Tarn valley only to climb back onto the causse, and on up to the promontory of Auriac. An incredible walking tour that winds its way throughout a little known area of the causse. A vast expanse of space and silence overlooking the village of Saint-Rome-de-Tarn. Don’t worry, the postman did not have to complete the whole route!
- From the carpark, walk round to the left of the waste reprocessing buildings and go through the tunnel which is under the road. Turn to the right and carry on along the D 250 road.
- From the dolmen, continue to the West towards Saint Victor until you reach the cross of Baldassé.
- Head towards the Casse and follow the small tarred road up to the farm. Take a dirt road to the left which is almost parallel to the high voltage power line. Follow this path that runs gently downhill and goes between the undergrowth up to a transformer. Keep going straight on and 500 m further on leave the path that rises to the right. Walk along the base of a field and join the old path linking Saint-Rome-de-Tarn to the Rosière, called "chemin du facteur" (the postman’s path). Carry on between two cultivated fields lined with trees. Leave the Cadenède path that you will see on coming from the left. Keep walking between the undergrowth by following a stony path until you reach the plateau.
- Start to walk downhill towards Saint-Rome de Tarn. Ford the Lévejac brook, and carry on until you reach road D993 which you cross.
- Take to the left fork towards the North-West, on the path that overlooks the road. Fork south to drop down towards Saint-Rome de Tarn. Get back on to the D993 which you take to the right. After the hairpin bend, climb the steps to the right leading to a path which rises up to Auriac.
- From the highest point of Auriac which provides outstanding scenic views over the Tarn valley, take the "le circuit des pins" (pine circuit) that ascends among the shadbushes and junipers. Once you reach a track suitable for vehicles, follow it and join the TV relay trail.
- Continue straight ahead up to a small road. Take this road to the right for 100 m and leave it to your left by a recently opened path, then a trail and a tarred road. Ignore the paths that lead to the Axous and Puech Ricard. Instead keep walking until you reach the D 31 road.
- Take the path opposite that leads to the Caussanel farm. Join the trail which runs parallel to the Fourniou brook. Cross the brook and continue between some undergrowth. At the edge of the undergrowth, cross the rec, and after a hairpin bend, you reach a trail. Follow this trail to the right until you reach the front of the waste sorting centre.
Box tree months are active from May to October. During the caterpillar phase, they feed on the leaves of box trees. They crawl down trees and move on long silken threads, although these threads are annoying when hiking they do not pose any health risk
Avenue de Lauras, 12250 Roquefort/Soulzon
Situated in the Grands Causses Regional Natural Park, the cheese village of Roquefort stretches on the hillside over the famous scree of the Combalou Rock, in southern Larzac. The village is at an elevation of 630 m and has 700 inhabitants.
The Tourist Office is open all year round:
- In July and August, Monday to Saturday: 9.30 to 18.30, Sunday: 10.00 to 17.00.
- April, May, June, September, October; Monday to Saturday: 9.30 to 12.15 & 13.00 to 17.30, closed on Sunday.
- January, February, November, December; Monday to Friday: 9.30 to 12.15 & 13.00 to 17.00, closed on Saturday and Sunday.
Access and parking
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here:
« Trekking experience »
River hiking is a softer variation of canyoning where obstacles are not mandatory and any difficult area can be bypassed if necessary. This activity is suitable for all ages from 8 years old.
All participants must be able to swim.
All the necessary technical equipment is supplied (neoprene wetsuit, harness, helmet).
Make sure you have closed sports shoes so that your feet are well maintained.
Several sites adapted to river hiking are available in the Aveyron department.
Wath to do
In the heart of the Tarn valley, in a natural and unspoiled setting, discover the natural wonders of this calm body of water aboard our boats. Beginners or beginners with our Canoes, kayaks, paddles or pedal boats, we have a boat that suits you! Our equipment in perfect condition guarantees total pleasure.
The Baumes waterfall, the Raspes du Tarn gorges, the fortified village of Auriac are some of the points of interest for the ride.
You prefer rapids and tumultuous waters, embark on a descent of the Tarn with passage under the Millau viaduct, passage to Peyre village classified among the most beautiful in France and indulge in thrills during an exceptional day! Route accessible to families! Mandatory reservation.
On site, free parking, free WiFi, catering, beach with supervised swimming, picnic area, fishing, pétanque.
« Trekking experience »
Experience a 6 day family adventure in total freedom!
Day 1: First steps on the Larzac, are you ready to step into the adventure?
Day 2: The Roquefort cheese ripening caves
Day 3: Discover Sainte Eulalie de Cernon in the heart of Larzac
Day 4: Enjoy an evening meal at a peasant market
Day 5: Build your own hut, make a wood fire and set up the night camp!
Day 6: Explore the Tournemire Amphitheatre.
Wath to do
n the heart of the Tarn valley, in a natural and unspoiled setting, enjoy our beach with free access. Security is maximum here, no power, very good water, monitoring in July and August, ideal for children! Here you will choose between shade and sun and enjoy a magnificent view of the wooded hills.
Possibility of nautical rental, catering and accommodation on site.
Where to eat ?
La Guinguette de St Rome Plage is above all an exceptional setting. The terrace, feet in the water, offers a magnificent view of the Tarn and the surrounding hills. The fiftieth trees allow you to savor the moment away from the sun.
The chef offers various quality salads and meats but also the famous regional burger made from perail. A hearty and unadorned cuisine.
The bartender will offer you our selection of local beers and wines.
Feeling hungry in the afternoon? Come and taste our ice cream and other sweet and savory pleasures.
The tavern is run by Mickael, Boris and their team in a family and relaxed atmosphere. Concerts in season, reservations recommended!
Organization of private events (birthday, family meal etc.) on request all year round.