The Valley of Serre
The valley of Serre was always a place to be. The "villae" (Gallo-Roman domains) existed before the villages along the river.
Church of St Saturnin de Lenne
The first church of St Saturnin de Lenne, which dominates the Serre valley, was built during the 11th century. It had been reconstructed during the 12th century, then enlarged during the 13th.
During the 11th century, Bégon de Calmont gave the churches of St Saturnin and La Roque to the abbey of Conques. Around 1100, monks started to reconstruct the church. But works stopped.
During the 13th century, the tower was completed by the building of a bell room lighted by 4 bays and covered by a dome with shale tiles.
The 19th century brought numerous transformations : bays were opened in the east end, 2 bays were added between 1852 and 1856. Finally, an architech of Mende proposed to elevate the bell tower and to add a roof light of 8 small columns, of the Neo-Byzantine style.
Outside, sculptures represent historiated scenes (birds, horsemen, ...) from the end of the 11th century, in particular on the modillions of the east end and the transept.
Gallo-Roman villa of Campfaros
In 1988, during the creation of a subdivison, a part of ruins of a important Gallo-Roman villa in activity during the second part of the 1st and the 5th century, was discovered.
The remains are the western side of the urban part.
The thermal baths, for the owner and his family, are situated in succession, for the coldest to the hotest, as required.
People passed by the cold water pool to places heated by the floor.
Text from Philippe Gruat, coming from "Al Canton-Campagnac"
Mansion of Grun
Mansion from the 17th century and its pigeon house.
Its corners have turrets allowing a defence of the fronts.
In 1755, it was one of the most important domain of the region: 4 pairs of oxes, 31 animals with horns, 4 mares, 408 animals which produced wool. The domain produced wheat, rye, barley, oats.
The fortified farm of Le Vialaret
This fortified farm depended from the monastic barn of Galinières, next to Pierrefiche d'Olt.
Its buildings close an indoor court, which the vaulted unique entrance is protected by a gatehouse (small rectangular room situated above the door, with pierced holes in the floor for shots).
1. Take the littel street, just in front of the church until the bridge. When you reach the road D2, turn left.
2. At the cemetery, turn right and walk on the road D582.
3. 300 m further on, at the cross, turn right, in direction of "Trescanous". At the mill, go straight on, until the hamlet "Orbis" (public bread oven).
4. After the hamlet, turn right in direction of "Lenne". Go through the hamlet. The large building was an orphanage. It is now a holiday center.
5. At the church, turn right, cross the road D45 and go straight along the path just opposite. You join the village "St Martin de Lenne".
6. Before entering the village, turn right. Go straight on for 3 km.
7. 3 km further on, at the cross paths, marked by a cross, turn left in direction of "Grun", an old mansion of the XIVth century. Pass through the hamlet and along the beautiful building. Continue until the road D2 and continue back to the village of St Saturnin de Lenne.
Access and parking
Highway A75, then roads D37 et D202.
National road N88 : follow the direction of Laissac, then St Geniez d'Olt
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: