The Montagne des Anglais hiking circuit
Were the skeletons found in the medieval necropolis of Soulsou the remains of English soldiers dating back to the one hundred years war? The oral tradition says so! The Montagne des Anglais welcomes you to enjoy this pastoral hiking loop that goes up to the hamlet of Vailhauzy spread out across the hillsides. A point of interest worth seeing on the way is the Soulsou farm with its typical caussenarde architecture.
- As soon as you leave the carpark, turn immediately right and take the rue Baudin. Walk up the road, follow a large curve and on the second bend turn left. Follow the paved path that turns into a track up to the junction with the road. Follow the road to the left and walk past some houses at a place called «Julhac».
- Leave on the road to the right that goes to Vailhauzy. Turn left at the next intersection, 50 m further on leave the road and take the raised path to the right. Follow this path between some undergrowth and join a trail on your left that you follow up to the Soulsou farm. Exit the farm to your left and take the trail to your right. Carry on up to the Canissac farm.
- Leave the farm by taking the exit to the left, once past the hamlet take the trail that goes straight up to the right and leads to the Saint Privat farm. Walk alongside the farm and join a trail which turns into a path through some undergrowth. Walk along the brook down towards the Plô de Moussigny. Above the buildings of the Plô, leave the path by turning left and carry straight on to join a wide path, then reach the tarmac road that leads to Vailhauzy.
- Walk through the village from East to West, taking the tarmac track which you follow throughout its length. At the intersection at a crossroads, continue straight ahead and after approximately 2 km, leave the road.
- Take the descending path to the left towards Julhac and retrace your steps back to Saint-Affrique following the way you came.
Box tree months are active from May to October. During the caterpillar phase, they feed on the leaves of box trees. They crawl down trees and move on long silken threads, although these threads are annoying when hiking they do not pose any health risk
Avenue de Lauras, 12250 Roquefort/Soulzon
Situated in the Grands Causses Regional Natural Park, the cheese village of Roquefort stretches on the hillside over the famous scree of the Combalou Rock, in southern Larzac. The village is at an elevation of 630 m and has 700 inhabitants.
The Tourist Office is open all year round:
- In July and August, Monday to Saturday: 9.30 to 18.30, Sunday: 10.00 to 17.00.
- April, May, June, September, October; Monday to Saturday: 9.30 to 12.15 & 13.00 to 17.30, closed on Sunday.
- January, February, November, December; Monday to Friday: 9.30 to 12.15 & 13.00 to 17.00, closed on Saturday and Sunday.
Access and parking
Saint-Affrique is situated 31 km South-West from Millau via the D992 and D999. From Clermont-Ferrand and Montpellier, via A75, exit 46, then follow the D999. From Toulouse/Albi via the D999.
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here:
Where to eat ?
We offer homemade cooking based mainly on fresh, local produce and a different menu every week. Booking advisable.
- Treat yourself to our delicious specialties either cooked on a pancake or on a slice of bread.
- Pancakes, homemade ice creams and coffee served with a selection of delicious delights
As for drinks we provide a range of Aveyron traditional lemonades, organic cider, wine by the glass and Aubrac beer.
Monthly cheese tasting evenings
Restaurant mentioned in le Petit Futé guide in 2017 and 2018.
Where to sleep ?
The 1837” has reopened its doors from May 15th 2020…with new sanitary practises to ensure your safety, as well as that of our employees !
The success of our unique hotel is the result of an Aveyronnaise family in love with their region, and a beautiful building that is nearly two hundred years old. Come and spend green holidays and enjoy overnight, or week-long stays in spacious and comfortable suites (fully equipped apartments with, among other features “fitted kitchen, dining area, living room with an office space, free wifi internet access” which can accommodate from 1 to 6 persons), private terraces opening onto a large green terrain, with free and private access to all of the 1837 facilities (with time slot-booking) and providing a unique atmosphere. Situated a few steps away from the small town centre of Saint-Affrique and close to numerous hiking and cycling circuits, the 1837 combines wonderful open spaces, refinement and services in the heart of southern Aveyron.
On the subject of services, please note that from now on, the 1837 offers you packed breakfasts using only local produce, which we leave for you outside the door of your apartment. And if you do not feel like preparing a meal, going to the drive-through or shopping at the local grocery store, we can also deliver midday and evening meal trays to you!
Revitalise yourself and enjoy the simple things in life: spend the siesta hours in the shade of the park, picnic with your family on the river's edge, take a walk and live simply, while enjoying the 1837 facilities (heated indoor overflow swimming pool, SPA facility with sauna, hammam and 2 jacuzzis, cardio training room and a billiards room.
Book now with complete peace of mind and pay later by calling us at 05 65 97 63 30 or sending us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
We invite you to share all our wonderful facilities so that you have a relaxing and enjoyable stay !
Wath to do
To celebrate our 4 star award, the 1837 SPA is now accessible to non-resident persons who can enjoy our high-level facilities within easy reach of the Southern Aveyron area. Several options are available among which are:
The relaxing moment: 30€ per person for 2 hour, or 135 € for a 10 x 1 hour non-transferable package (from Monday to Saturday).
Day SPA session: 45€ per person for an afternoon from 14.00 to 19.00 (from Monday to Friday).
Each option comprises access to the heated indoor overflow swimming pool, to the SPA facility with sauna, hammam and 2 jacuzzis and to the cardio training room.
The 1837 SPA provides you with a bathrobe and a bath towel and is pleased to serve you a free cup of tea!
If you wish to book a time slot, please feel free to contact us at 05 65 97 63 30 (excluding the mid July – mid August period).
The 1837 SPA offers also a wide range of à la carte beauty treatments: extra face and body care that can be performed in one of the individual or double cabins by appointment only. So, if you want to get the most out of the 1837 SPA facility or give a gift to your friends, don't delay!
Where to sleep ?
Traditional catering or cafeteria-style for groups. Bar with terrace. Outdoor swimming pool, fitness centre. 3 meeting rooms with accommodating 15 to 150 people.
COVID 19 MEASURES
The safety of our clients and our staff is priority number one. In response to the coronavirus disease, we have taken additional health and safety measures to ensure our guests security.
We have strengthened our cleaning team and increased the frequency of disinfection of bedrooms, common areas, hotel private areas and especially areas and facilities used by everyone (entrance hall, lifts (by now unauthorised use), door handles, toilets, Reception Hall, room access cards and others).
• The staff is currently trained to prevent the spread of the coronavirus by means of new cleaning and disinfection techniques appropriate for today's conditions.
• We have provided our employees with personal protective equipment.
• We use specifically recommended cleaning products for the disinfection against COVID 19.
• The storey's staff will not carry out the daily cleaning in occupied rooms to prevent anyone to entering your room.
• Change of bathroom linen will be available at the Reception if needed.
• Alcohol-based disinfectant hand gel is available to our clients in the Reception Hall and in each floor.
• Your access badge will be disinfected and placed in an envelope. Upon your leaving, please put it in the box provided for this purpose, in the Reception Hall.
• A reminder of the appropriate physical distancing measures is displayed in the Reception Hall and on each floor.
• We have implemented directional floor marking in the Reception Hall and a one-way system has been put in place on each floor.
• We ensure that clients maintain a safe distance from each other.
We will continue to make sure that cleanliness and hygiene are our top priorities throughout all procedures and thank you for respecting the physical distancing measures (1.5 m).
We thank you, for the trust you put in us and wish you a pleasant stay with us!
« Trekking experience »
This track, which is over 180 m long, comprises a series of challenging humps and turns.
The name of this track featuring raised turns and humps refers to the “bending-pushing” movements carried out on the bike through the combined action of legs and arms. This pumping action performed on hollows and humps allows the cyclist to gain speed without pedaling.
This facility is available with free access and is adapted to all levels of proficiency, from young children with their balance bikes to the most experienced riders.
This track is part of a plan aimed at the development of urban sporting activities in relation to the green lane.
A 4 km ride along the green lane towards Vabres l‘Abbaye will allow biking enthusiasts to test their skills and challenge their balance on another site: the Vabres l'Abbaye skatepark situated in the park of the bishop's palace.
Safety rule: To avoid collisions between riders, compliance with the direction of the traffic is compulsory, as is the wearing of a helmet for all users. Children under 10 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Pumptrack is not under supervision and regulations must be read prior to use.
Where to sleep ?
The campsite is situated between the Larzac plateau and the Tarn valley, in southern Aveyron and close to the Roquefort caves.
During your stay you can enjoy your time and the nice weather conditions in a peaceful and natural environment.
You will be welcomed by our friendly staff, and have the opportunity to discover conviviality and well-being, in a beautiful outdoor environment
COVID 19 Measures
As the lockdown period is at last over, the campsite is open from May 1.
Our campsite provides a limited number of 6 pitches and offers wide-open natural spaces between campers which guarantee that you can have a safe and relaxing stay.
Access to the swimming pool is organised by one family or group at a time and you will be given time slot. The water is treated with chlorination which eliminates viruses and bacteria.
A disinfectant spray is at your disposal in the toilet area.
Please contact us if you wish to have more information about these measures, so that we can welcome you with a pleasant stay.
You will be able to relax and recharge your batteries in a green environment, far from the city and connect or reconnect with nature.
Where to sleep ?
Small 4 storey house located at the end of a blind alley and set in a quiet environment with fine views onto the surrounding hills.
Street level: a bicycle shed
- 1st floor: entrance, kitchen and eating area
- 2nd floor: lounge, shower room and toilets
- 3rd floor: hall and bedroom with a 140 double bed
- 4th floor: bedroom on a mezzanine with a 160 double bed and a study area
The house has been recently refurbished in a contemporary style:
Due to its architecture this accommodation is not appropriate for mobility-impaired persons and/or young children.
The gite is non-smoking and pets are not allowed, bathroom linen can be hired.
What to see
Enjoy a digital walking tour in Saint-Affrique
Surrounded by seven hills, Saint-Affrique is located along the banks of the Sorgues, in the heart of the frontal causses. From the Middle-Ages to the industrial era, History has left its mark on the town through built heritage and more subtle evidences. During your stroll you'll be able to unravel the Historical past of the town. Saint-Affrique which is set in a rural environment is rich in traditions of inventiveness and resistance and has been able to preserve its vitality! Saint-Affrique with its kind nickname “la Villote” (small town) is receiving you with great affection. Welcome to you!
Free application « Balades des Grands Causses » available on iOS or Android
Duration of tour: 1h30 – 2h
Wath to do
INTERMUNICIPAL INDOOR SWIMMING POOL
A wooden terrace and a lawned area with relaxing chairs welcome you to enjoy sunbathing.
Activities: water aerobics, aqua cycling, aqua fitness, swimming baby, aquatic playground for toddlers, water school for children, and aquaphobia sessions.
Lesson timetables are available by clicking on the link below:
What to see
Maison de la Mémoire (House of Memory) in the Saint-Affrique area
-A floor dedicated to temporary exhibitions, continually updated throughout the year, where you will discover the culture and heritage of Southern Aveyron.
-A museum of Aveyronnaise society which allows visitors to stroll through time and discover the old local trades and daily life: the displays are set out in five visiting rooms. The Maison de la Mémoire also holds the municipal archives department, a working and regional studies library, and an activity area for children and adults (more info on www.saintaffrique.com).
What to see
The Museum displays a new exhibition: « Bande de Guignols »:
You will learn about Guignol who was born out of poverty and thirsting for justice. You will meet his ancestors and his cousins, Polichinelle, Punch, together with other « Guignols », all of which the major 19th century upheavals have given rise to throughout the European continent.
Compulsory wearing of a mask