A tour around the Loubière
This ride offers you an extraordinary change of scenery: the Sorgues open valley on one side, the burgundy soils of the Rougier on the other, separated by the impressive wall of the Loubière. Be prepared to have your eyes filled with spectacular views, but save enough stamina for the steep final slope to Montaigut castle that awaits you at the end of the ascent.
1 point of interest
- History and heritage
Village of Lapeyre
This village was controlled by the Templars Commandery during the 12th century and has kept much of its medieval architecture with its old houses clustered around the Tower. There is also the tombstone of Médora Leig, a daughter of the English poet Lord Byron which you can visit in the graveyard.
- From the Saint-Affrique Tourist Office, Boulevard Aristide Briand, take the D225 road towards Millau.
- Turn right onto the RD7 road in the Vallée de la Sorgues and ride along the river up to Lapeyre.
- Turn right towards Gissac before 5 km of steady ascent (6%).
- Once you get to Gissac, take a right towards Montlaur. Then, go across the village and carry on your ride downhill on the main road.
- At the crossroads, take the RD101 in the direction of Montlaur.
- Turn to the right towards Montaigut castle and its dreadful ascending slope (8.5%) before heading your way down back to Sant-Affrique.
- Departure : Saint-Affrique Tourist Office
- Arrival : Saint-Affrique Tourist Office
- Towns crossed : Saint-Affrique, Versols-et-Lapeyre, Gissac, and Vabres-l'Abbaye
Saint-Affrique Tourist Office
Boulevard Aristide Briand, 12400 Saint-Affrique
The Tourism Office is open all year round, the opening hours are:
·July and august:
From Monday to Saturday: 9h – 13h & 15h – 19h
Sunday: 9h – 13h
·From September to June:
From Tuesday to Saturday: 9h – 13h & 14h – 17h
Closed: Sundays, Mondays and bank holidays
From November to April, the office is also closed on Saturday afternoon.
Access and parking
Saint-Affrique is situated 31 km southwest of Millau via the D 992 and D999 roads.
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: