Crêtes et buissières du plateau de Mascourbe
As you approach the Mascourbe plateau, a landscape that has been shaped by centuries of agro-pastoralism tradition unfolds before your eyes. During this family hike, explore some splendid buissières and enjoy sweeping views over the Nonenque abbey, the Sorgues valley and the Guillaumard plateau.
- Take the path that goes on the left towards N.E. and carry on about 1.5 km along a beautiful “bouissière” (a narrow passage defined by two rows of box trees) an ancient path which was used to connect Mascourbe to Nonenque.
- The view of the plateau emerges and the path turns to the right, going S.E. alongside a fence. Walk to the edge of the plateau.
- Head towards the southwest among box trees and oaks. The path runs slightly uphill and provides very nice views over the Annou vale and the Nonenque abbey. The trail leads you out of the woodland.
- Keep on strolling along the edge of the plateau and enjoy the scenic view over the Sorgue valley and the surrounding hills and plateaus (Guilhaumard, Escandorgue, Espinouse, monts de Lacaune). Reach “the Shepherds Tower”, which is a very unusual stone building. Keep on walking along the edge of the plateau for about 700 m.
- Do not take left the path that runs downhill towards the Nonenque vale, but instead walk away from the plateau to take a track on your right that runs along to a path, that turns into a “bouissière” which leads to the hamlet of Mascourbe
Saint-Affrique Tourist Office
Boulevard Aristide Briand, 12400 Saint-Affrique
The Tourism Office is open all year round, the opening hours are:
·July and august:
From Monday to Saturday: 9h – 13h & 15h – 19h
Sunday: 9h – 13h
·From September to June:
From Tuesday to Saturday: 9h – 13h & 14h – 17h
Closed: Sundays, Mondays and bank holidays
From November to April, the office is also closed on Saturday afternoon.
Access and parking
From Saint-Affrique or from Cornus, take the D7 up to Saint-Félix de Sorgues, then head for Saint-Jean d'Alcas. Mascourbe is situated 3.5 km from Saint-Félix de Sorgues.
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: