La mare du Lavagnol
Here, the agropastoral tradition coexists with the print of the Templars and Hospitallers to shape an unusual landscape. Along trails on the Larzac Causse, the alfalfa and cereal fields follow sheep pastures. Emblem of the walk: the Lavagnol pond, watering place for herds.
2 points of interest
- Small heritage
The watering place of Lavagnol
On the Causses, the « lavognes » (cobbled watering place), are natural clay troughs, often circular, serving as a watering place for herds and fed exclusively by rainwater.
In the second haft of the 19th century, the number of sheep was more important, and people decided to build bigger cobbled watering places. They are the only permanent water points with the natural watering place for animals and as such, they are precious and well maintained.
The plain of the Temple
The vast desert expanses of the Larzac plateau usually evoke landscapes of desolation… The western fertile lands of La Cavalerie contrast with the arid areas located at the east. The cultivation of "the Plain of the Temple" is the work of the Templars since they cleared the land in the 12th century in order to produce grain.
Cereals and forage plants are still cultivated today, and thank to the absence of chemical weeding, we can see a profusion of "harvest" plants: poppies, blueberries ... which offer, to the eye of the hiker, beautiful colorful landscapes...
- From the town hall, enter into the fortifications by the "Tour des Commandeurs" (east gate), and take "Rue de la ville", then exit by the "Place des Templiers" (west gate), turn right to access the D999 then left to join the crossroads with the D809. Cross it and take in front the direction of Saint-Rome de Cernon, St-Affrique (D999), continue on 250 m then turn on the left after the second intersection.
- At 200 m, continue right on the road that passes on the motorway. At the first crossroads, continue straight.
- After the “mare du Lavagnol” (cobbled watering place), turn left.
- At the next crossroads, turn left on a wide track (leave the GR®), let on the right a stony path to Sainte-Eulalie de Cernon. Continue on the track for 900 m.
- Turn left on a grassy path which climbs gently towards a grove. At the first junction, make a hairpin turn on the left on a large stony path.
- At the next fork, turn right, then continue straight on. Perform a short slope to arrive on the road to Sainte-Eulalie. Follow it to the left. Pass under the motorway and find the D999.
- Turn right towards the parking.
- Departure : La Cavalerie
- Arrival : La Cavalerie
- Towns crossed : La Cavalerie and Sainte-Eulalie-de-Cernon
Tourist Office Larzac et Vallées
Place du Claux, 12230 NANT
Located on the ground floor of the Town Hall (mansion of the 18th century), The Tourist Office welcomes you all year and offers tourist information on the Larzac and its valleys, the department of Aveyron, and also on neighboring counties. Free Wifi access.
Opening hours :
From Novembre to February: Tuesday morning 9:00-12:30
March and October : Tuesday to Friday 9:00-12:30
April : Tuesday to Friday 10:00-12:30 and 14:00-17:30
May, June : Tuesday to Saturday 10:00-12:30 and 14:00-17:30
July and August : every day 10:00-12:30 and 14:30-18:00
September : Tuesday to Saturday 10:00-12:30 and 14:00-17:30
Access and parking
Fron Milau by the D809.
From the A75 motorway (Béziers - Montpellier ou Clermont-Ferrand), exit 47.
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: