5. From Montaigut to St Affrique
The circuit goes through an area located between the rocky outcrop of Montaigut and the Saint-Affrique plains, between the Dourdou and the Sorgues valleys. Take the ancient road which once connected Camarès to Saint-Affrique. As you walk uphill towards the Croix del Pas pass, enjoy the beautiful views over the rocky spur on which the castle was built and over the Rougier. Once you’ve reached the Loubière plateau, the Sorgues valley opens up allowing you to see Saint-Affrique on the horizon. Go back to Saint-Affrique by walking along dry-stone walls which are remains of an ancient road.
The del Pas cross
- From the Montaigut castle walk up the road for approximately 200 m, then on a left-hand curve take right the rising track that leads towards the pass of the Croix del Pas. Notice the red soil which is typical of the Rougier. During your ascent, enjoy the scenic view over the castle, the Rougier de Camarès, the Monts de Lacaune. Once on the ridge, head towards the East and leave the descending trail to your right to reach the pass of the Croix del Pas.
- At the cross which marks the crossing from the Dourdou valley to the Sorgues valley, take the path that runs immediately downhill at a right angle to your left. St affrique can be seen far in the distance with a series of beautiful views over the Sorgues valley. Leave several paths on your right and head towards the Guillaumet.
- The path leads to a field, walk to the right around the field on a logging road. Reach a small brook, do not cross it now but instead follow the path that runs to your right and joins up with a trail which goes across the brook.
- A little further on, leave that trail and take a track on your right so that you cross the brook once again and walk along its right bank up to the plain. Take on your left the logging road and soon after, follow the path that runs bellow the Guillaumet.
- Once you get to the Guillaumet, cross a brook, walk up the road to the left for approximately 100 m and take right a path that leads to Vendeloves via the Colombier. Walk through the village of Vendeloves towards St Affrique.
- At the exit of the village, take a descending path to your right that leads to the banks of the river Sorgues. Walk along the river up to the Gravière recreational area, cross the footbridge and take the green lane that allows to reach St Affrique passing by the former railway station.
Avenue de Lauras, 12250 Roquefort/Soulzon
Situated in the Grands Causses Regional Natural Park, the cheese village of Roquefort stretches on the hillside over the famous scree of the Combalou Rock, in southern Larzac. The village is at an elevation of 630 m and has 700 inhabitants.
The Tourist Office is open all year round:
- In July and August, Monday to Saturday: 9.30 to 18.30, Sunday: 10.00 to 17.00.
- April, May, June, September, October; Monday to Saturday: 9.30 to 12.15 & 13.00 to 17.30, closed on Sunday.
- January, February, November, December; Monday to Friday: 9.30 to 12.15 & 13.00 to 17.00, closed on Saturday and Sunday.
To get more details, click on: site internet de l'Office de Tourisme and on: Occitanie Transports
There is a bus station in St Affrique (lines 202, 2016, 2018) and a railway station in Tournemire (regional line).
Access and parking
From St Affrique, drive past the Puppet Space, then turn right onto the route du Roc Blanc, go past the Arc en miel beekeepers and continue on that small road for approximately 10 km up to Montaigut castle.
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here:
Where to sleep ?
Traditional catering or cafeteria-style for groups. Bar with terrace. Outdoor swimming pool, fitness centre. 3 meeting rooms with accommodating 15 to 150 people.
COVID 19 MEASURES
The safety of our clients and our staff is priority number one. In response to the coronavirus disease, we have taken additional health and safety measures to ensure our guests security.
We have strengthened our cleaning team and increased the frequency of disinfection of bedrooms, common areas, hotel private areas and especially areas and facilities used by everyone (entrance hall, lifts (by now unauthorised use), door handles, toilets, Reception Hall, room access cards and others).
• The staff is currently trained to prevent the spread of the coronavirus by means of new cleaning and disinfection techniques appropriate for today's conditions.
• We have provided our employees with personal protective equipment.
• We use specifically recommended cleaning products for the disinfection against COVID 19.
• The storey's staff will not carry out the daily cleaning in occupied rooms to prevent anyone to entering your room.
• Change of bathroom linen will be available at the Reception if needed.
• Alcohol-based disinfectant hand gel is available to our clients in the Reception Hall and in each floor.
• Your access badge will be disinfected and placed in an envelope. Upon your leaving, please put it in the box provided for this purpose, in the Reception Hall.
• A reminder of the appropriate physical distancing measures is displayed in the Reception Hall and on each floor.
• We have implemented directional floor marking in the Reception Hall and a one-way system has been put in place on each floor.
• We ensure that clients maintain a safe distance from each other.
We will continue to make sure that cleanliness and hygiene are our top priorities throughout all procedures and thank you for respecting the physical distancing measures (1.5 m).
We thank you, for the trust you put in us and wish you a pleasant stay with us!
Where to sleep ?
Small 4 storey house located at the end of a blind alley and set in a quiet environment with fine views onto the surrounding hills.
Street level: a bicycle shed
- 1st floor: entrance, kitchen and eating area
- 2nd floor: lounge, shower room and toilets
- 3rd floor: hall and bedroom with a 140 double bed
- 4th floor: bedroom on a mezzanine with a 160 double bed and a study area
The house has been recently refurbished in a contemporary style:
Due to its architecture this accommodation is not appropriate for mobility-impaired persons and/or young children.
The gite is non-smoking and pets are not allowed, bathroom linen can be hired.
Where to eat ?
We offer homemade cooking based mainly on fresh, local produce and a different menu every week. Booking advisable.
- Treat yourself to our delicious specialties either cooked on a pancake or on a slice of bread.
- Pancakes, homemade ice creams and coffee served with a selection of delicious delights
As for drinks we provide a range of Aveyron traditional lemonades, organic cider, wine by the glass and Aubrac beer.
Monthly cheese tasting evenings
Restaurant mentioned in le Petit Futé guide in 2017 and 2018.
Where to sleep ?
The 1837” has reopened its doors from May 15th 2020…with new sanitary practises to ensure your safety, as well as that of our employees !
The success of our unique hotel is the result of an Aveyronnaise family in love with their region, and a beautiful building that is nearly two hundred years old. Come and spend green holidays and enjoy overnight, or week-long stays in spacious and comfortable suites (fully equipped apartments with, among other features “fitted kitchen, dining area, living room with an office space, free wifi internet access” which can accommodate from 1 to 6 persons), private terraces opening onto a large green terrain, with free and private access to all of the 1837 facilities (with time slot-booking) and providing a unique atmosphere. Situated a few steps away from the small town centre of Saint-Affrique and close to numerous hiking and cycling circuits, the 1837 combines wonderful open spaces, refinement and services in the heart of southern Aveyron.
On the subject of services, please note that from now on, the 1837 offers you packed breakfasts using only local produce, which we leave for you outside the door of your apartment. And if you do not feel like preparing a meal, going to the drive-through or shopping at the local grocery store, we can also deliver midday and evening meal trays to you!
Revitalise yourself and enjoy the simple things in life: spend the siesta hours in the shade of the park, picnic with your family on the river's edge, take a walk and live simply, while enjoying the 1837 facilities (heated indoor overflow swimming pool, SPA facility with sauna, hammam and 2 jacuzzis, cardio training room and a billiards room.
Book now with complete peace of mind and pay later by calling us at 05 65 97 63 30 or sending us an e-mail to email@example.com
We invite you to share all our wonderful facilities so that you have a relaxing and enjoyable stay !
« Trekking experience »
This track, which is over 180 m long, comprises a series of challenging humps and turns.
The name of this track featuring raised turns and humps refers to the “bending-pushing” movements carried out on the bike through the combined action of legs and arms. This pumping action performed on hollows and humps allows the cyclist to gain speed without pedaling.
This facility is available with free access and is adapted to all levels of proficiency, from young children with their balance bikes to the most experienced riders.
This track is part of a plan aimed at the development of urban sporting activities in relation to the green lane.
A 4 km ride along the green lane towards Vabres l‘Abbaye will allow biking enthusiasts to test their skills and challenge their balance on another site: the Vabres l'Abbaye skatepark situated in the park of the bishop's palace.
Safety rule: To avoid collisions between riders, compliance with the direction of the traffic is compulsory, as is the wearing of a helmet for all users. Children under 10 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Pumptrack is not under supervision and regulations must be read prior to use.
Wath to do
To celebrate our 4 star award, the 1837 SPA is now accessible to non-resident persons who can enjoy our high-level facilities within easy reach of the Southern Aveyron area. Several options are available among which are:
The relaxing moment: 30€ per person for 2 hour, or 135 € for a 10 x 1 hour non-transferable package (from Monday to Saturday).
Day SPA session: 45€ per person for an afternoon from 14.00 to 19.00 (from Monday to Friday).
Each option comprises access to the heated indoor overflow swimming pool, to the SPA facility with sauna, hammam and 2 jacuzzis and to the cardio training room.
The 1837 SPA provides you with a bathrobe and a bath towel and is pleased to serve you a free cup of tea!
If you wish to book a time slot, please feel free to contact us at 05 65 97 63 30 (excluding the mid July – mid August period).
The 1837 SPA offers also a wide range of à la carte beauty treatments: extra face and body care that can be performed in one of the individual or double cabins by appointment only. So, if you want to get the most out of the 1837 SPA facility or give a gift to your friends, don't delay!
What to see
Enjoy a digital walking tour in Saint-Affrique
Surrounded by seven hills, Saint-Affrique is located along the banks of the Sorgues, in the heart of the frontal causses. From the Middle-Ages to the industrial era, History has left its mark on the town through built heritage and more subtle evidences. During your stroll you'll be able to unravel the Historical past of the town. Saint-Affrique which is set in a rural environment is rich in traditions of inventiveness and resistance and has been able to preserve its vitality! Saint-Affrique with its kind nickname “la Villote” (small town) is receiving you with great affection. Welcome to you!
Free application « Balades des Grands Causses » available on iOS or Android
Duration of tour: 1h30 – 2h
Wath to do
INTERMUNICIPAL INDOOR SWIMMING POOL
A wooden terrace and a lawned area with relaxing chairs welcome you to enjoy sunbathing.
Activities: water aerobics, aqua cycling, aqua fitness, swimming baby, aquatic playground for toddlers, water school for children, and aquaphobia sessions.
Lesson timetables are available by clicking on the link below:
What to see
Maison de la Mémoire (House of Memory) in the Saint-Affrique area
-A floor dedicated to temporary exhibitions, continually updated throughout the year, where you will discover the culture and heritage of Southern Aveyron.
-A museum of Aveyronnaise society which allows visitors to stroll through time and discover the old local trades and daily life: the displays are set out in five visiting rooms. The Maison de la Mémoire also holds the municipal archives department, a working and regional studies library, and an activity area for children and adults (more info on www.saintaffrique.com).
What to see
The Museum displays a new exhibition: « Bande de Guignols »:
You will learn about Guignol who was born out of poverty and thirsting for justice. You will meet his ancestors and his cousins, Polichinelle, Punch, together with other « Guignols », all of which the major 19th century upheavals have given rise to throughout the European continent.
Compulsory wearing of a mask